startSF SQS queue
This queue can then be monitored for failures to initiate a workflow. Please note that workflow failures will not show up in this queue, only repeated failure to trigger a workflow.
Named Lambda Dead Letter Queues
Cumulus provides configured Dead Letter Queues (
DLQ) for non-workflow Lambdas (such as ScheduleSF) to capture Lambda failures for further processing.
These DLQs are setup with the following configuration:
receive_wait_time_seconds = 20 message_retention_seconds = 1209600 visibility_timeout_seconds = 60
Default Lambda Configuration
The following built-in Cumulus Lambdas are setup with DLQs to allow handling of process failures:
- dbIndexer (Updates Elasticsearch based on DynamoDB events)
- JobsLambda (writes logs outputs to Elasticsearch)
- ScheduleSF (the SF Scheduler Lambda that places messages on the queue that is used to start workflows, see Workflow Triggers)
- publishReports (Lambda that publishes messages to the SNS topics for execution, granule and PDR reporting)
- reportGranules, reportExecutions, reportPdrs (Lambdas responsible for updating records based on messages in the queues published by publishReports)
Ideally an automated process should be configured to poll the queue and process messages off a dead letter queue.
For aid in manually troubleshooting, you can utilize the SQS Management console to view/messages available in the queues setup for a particular stack. The dead letter queues will have a Message Body containing the Lambda payload, as well as Message Attributes that reference both the error returned and a RequestID which can be cross referenced to the associated Lambda's CloudWatch logs for more information: